Thursday, November 13, 2014

Talking with the Car Talk Guys

Charlotte Canelli is the library director of the Morrill Memorial Library in Norwood, Massachusetts. Read Charlotte's column in the November 13, 2014 edition of the Norwood Transcript and Bulletin.


In 2000, I found myself in the market for my very first, very own car.  My husband of 27 years was newly-exed and in the arms of another woman.  My daughters were off to college driving their own wheels. My emptied nest was a spacious overstatement and so was my eight-seat, Chevy Suburban-Mom car.  I was attending graduate school and managing a part-time job in Boston.  I drove thousands of miles a month to and from work and school and social engagements across New England. I wanted to downsize to something practical, sporty, and fuel-efficient.

            I successfully traded in the gas-guzzler and skillfully negotiated the purchase price of a VW Cabriolet convertible. Did I consider about the practicalities or persnickety workings of a foreign car? Did I analyze the rationale of a standard transmission in New England’s ice and snow? Of course not. I just knew that I would save money on gas and have a blast driving my great little car.

            When my transmission bit the dust one bright and blustery winter day in 2001, I found myself at the dealership naively believing my Cabrio's ailment was covered by warranty. However, the frowning, cackling mechanics of the VW dealership's service department decided that I simply did not know how to manipulate a stick shift and that I single-handedly ruined the transmission, burning it into a mess of metal and grease.  I argued that I’d been driving a standard transmission for thirty years since I was a teenager.  I pointed out the 60,000 mile extended warranty, especially the words transmission, gears and clutch. I was told that in order to get the keys to my car I needed to cough up an obscene amount of money to pay for the replacement guts in my beautiful little machine.

            I’m not particularly proud to say that this capable, self-reliant single woman of the 21st century then relied on her back-up. A few telephone calls to the dealership from both my ex-husband and my then-boyfriend worked the miracle. Suffice it to say, I sheepishly picked up my car with its new transmission and it was entirely covered by warranty.

            Frustrated and slightly humiliated, I wondered why I couldn’t convince the car mechanics when the men in (and out) of my life could.  So, I called the Tappet Brothers, aka Click and Clack, and shared my story with the boys of Car Talk.

            The Car Talk experience was a unique one. After a call to the 1-800 number given during each show, I was prompted to leave a message with my name, phone number and my brief story.  Several days later, I received a call to ferret out more of the story. Obviously, the more animated and clever the storyteller, the better.  I passed the test and I was invited to sit by my telephone at a particular time on a particular day in the next week when I would talk with the experts, Ray and Tom Magliozzi.

           At the designated time, 1 pm during my lunch hour, I sat by the phone. When it rang, I ducked into a private office (the only quiet spot in the tiny library where I worked.)  Suffice it to say, Ray and Tom were fun-loving, condescending, patronizing and hilarious. They were masters of bringing out the best, and possibly the worst.  Speaking to them was an absolute thrill. The show was recorded and edited and I was told the Saturday that it would air.

            There was more fun, of course.  I heard from people across the country who happened to hear my eight-minute claim to fame on NPR’s Car Talk. I didn’t tell many people to listen in, but friends and relatives seemed to recognize my voice and plight when I was introduced simply as Charlotte from “our-nearby-fair-city Boxborough, Massachusetts.”

            And so, I was saddened this week when I learned thatTom Magliozzi had passed away to developments of Alzheimer’s.  I understood that they taped their last Car Talk episode two years ago, but all of their shows had been reworked to sound relatively current while Car Talk continues to be broadcast nationwide. 

            In 1991, the Magliozzi’s wrote “Car Talk with Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers.” In 2000, they published “In Our Humble Opinion,” a book that contains very little advice about car maintenance or repair but is rather, a book of ‘rants and raves’ – a preponderance of very funny Tappet Brothers’ pontifications. “Ask Click and Clack, Answers from Car Talk” hit the libraries and bookstores in 2008. It's is a compilation of the opinions and reactions from the biweekly newspaper column, “Click and Clack.” Lisa Phillips included an essay about the Magliozzi brothers in “Public Radio – Behind the Voices” (2006).

            Minuteman libraries have multiple copies of the audio recordings of Car Talk shows.  While the Magliozzi brothers chatted with as many as a dozen callers each week, only a small number of those were included on Car Talk CDs which were often given as incentive gifts during NPR’s fundraising campaigns.   The “Best of Car Talk” and “Second Best of Car Talk” go as far back as 1995 and 1996. “Field Guide to the North American Wacko” includes shows from July and August 2007 on four CDs.  Another compilation CD, “Why You Should Never Listen to Your Father When It Comes to Cars” showcases dads and their offspring, such as “Remember That Time Your Car Blew Up, Dad?”  Car Talk Classics: The Pinkwater Files” includes four hours of funny stuff by the guys and children’s author Daniel Pinkwater. “Car Talk: The Brothers Grime” was produced in 2009. And there are many more in between.


            My Car Talk episode was replayed several times in the early 2000s and, for a time, it could be found online. Sadly, I can no longer locate it in the archives and haven’t found it on a CD. I do, however, have the entire show engraved in my memory.  Rest in peace, Tom Magliozzi, and know that I am one of the millions of Car Talk listeners who survived many long weekend drives laughing along with you and Ray while we ‘wasted another hour listening to Car Talk.’